Friday, January 15, 2010

The Joy of Food

Anyone who has started a diet, a cleanse, a..well ANYTHING in an effort to lose weight quickly figures out 2 things: It's hard, and the food is BORING! As I have been working to achieve my goals, I have run into this same problem. I made my yummy chicken salad, and made sure to add spices to give it a little something extra. I made a really great soup, and again, added spices to keep it interesting, but this woman cannot live on chicken salad and soup alone. GIVE ME VARIETY! Even the deviled eggs aren't evil enough.

A few days ago I was STARVING. I had meat cooking in the pan, as well as asparagus sauteeing. In my grocery store adventure earlier that day, I bought several veggies, including mushrooms. I decided to add that to the asparagus and what happened next was bliss. I couldn't wait for my meat to finish cooking, so I started snacking on my little "side dish", but ended up eating it all before the meat was done. It was SOOO good! Am I the only one who has never tried this?

I have come up with a few concoctions that are oh-so-tasty, and extremely healthy. The best part? They aren't the same boring stuff you always eat! WOO HOO! If you have any ideas, email me and I will post them on my blog. Here's what the latest creations are: (don't expect anything grand. I'm easy.)

Almost Quiche:
2 Eggs
Some broccoli, chopped into small pieces (maybe 1/8 cup?)
1 heaping tablespoon chopped onions
1 tsp Real Bacon Bits. (You know the kind you buy at Costco?)

Saute the broccoli in EVOO for a few minutes, then add the onions and bacon. After a few minutes, add the eggs. BAM! Yummy, healthy, quick food.

Mushroom and Asparagus:
A few mushrooms.
A few more stalks of asparagus
(I know, it's really complicated)

I chop the asparagus into pieces about 1.5-2 inches long. Saute in EVOO until it is bright green. Then add chopped mushrooms, saute until the asparagus is soft.
This tastes especially good when you put it on a grilled chicken breast, or just chop the chicken and add it in the mixture!

Tonight I am making Spaghetti Squash with ground Chicken Meatballs. I add Marinara sauce, sauteed mushrooms, and anything else that sounds *potentially* good. This is also yummy if you shred Zucchini to add to the spaghetti squash, but I don't have any, and I don't feel like going to the store for the 3rd time today...except that I need mushrooms...hmmm.

Here's to fitting in more of my clothes!

-Amy

1 comment:

  1. I have an absolutely fabulous dinner I made from scratch at my house!! It feeds probably 6 people or great for leftovers.
    2 crowns of Brocolii chopped
    1 head of califlower chopped
    1 bundle of asparogus chopped
    1 or 2 cans of corn
    Sautee the asperagus with just the canola cooking spray. When it is about half way browned add in the califlower stir and put a lid on it. After about 3 mintues stir and add the brocolii. When all the veggies are brown add in the corn and season to taste. I enjoy pepper and cajun seasoning myself. Eat right away or save left overs for later! I absolutely love this!!!
    It's great for Vegetarians like me or a great side dish for dinner!

    ReplyDelete